Monday, August 16, 2010

Gestational Diabetes & Healthy Eating and 2 Weeks 5 Days left - more or less!


2 Weeks 5 Days left before I pop - more or less! Can you believe it? Wow, punya cepat!

Been on a diabetic diet since early last week because the Dr said my blood glucose level swings from one end to the other which is not good for Baby G. Yes, I've been diagnosed as having Gestational Diabetes. Not surprising actually coz diabetes runs in my side of the family.

So, since early last week I've been...

counting calories and carbohydrates

checking my blood glucose level 4 times a day - yes, my fingers hurt from all the poking from the lancet

laying off rice, normal bread/buns, cakes, chocolates, sodas etc etc

having a more healthy diet which includes no sugar whole wheat breads, cornflakes, low fat milk, vege vege vege, taufu etc etc

Sigh but it pays off! Weight maintained and glucose level is within the recommended levels... unfortunately, its taken a toll on my purse... I didnt realise that eating healthy can be so expensive! For example a pack (10 pieces) of no sugar whole wheat bread is like almost RM6 and the cornflakes that doesnt spike my glucose level cost almost RM14 a pack. Then going for salad for lunch when you're at work would cost you about RM10-16 without drinks! Thats more than double of what I spend normally (with drinks somemore!!!) Early last week me & hubby spend more than RM100 just for a weeks supply of healthy food for breakfast and dinner!

I wish someone can open an affordable restaurant that caters to people with special diets.

Anyway, enough of me venting about the cost of healthy eating because in the end Baby G and my health is all that matters...


No comments: